Monday, February 15, 2010

My First Quilting Project: BABY QUILT

A long time ago, my mother gave me a quilter's kit, which had a rotary cutter, pins, a measure board, etc. I got it for my birthday one year and I was very excited to get it but have never had the chance or opportunity to open it and use it till now.

I decided, (Shhhh to those who know them! I haven't given it to them yet...) I wanted to make my brother and sister a baby quilt for their first baby they are expecting next month! I wanted to give them something special and I remember having a couple handmade blankets (which is terribly sad but no idea where they ever wound up....) made for me when I was born/little... one was a croceted blanket with white and pinks and yellows with tassels on the end and the other was a delicate blanket with blues, yellows, pinks and green in it. Anyway, I decided it would be my first quilting project. I have been wanting to make a quilt for many a year and after seeing the quilted iron cover and deciding it couldn't be that hard to do... I finally took a deep breathe and faced the fear of a complicated quilting project!

Here are some pics and steps of the quilt I made!
I got everything all together (yes, I used the kitchen floor - no worries I cleaned it that afternoon!)
Then I cut out all the fabric pieces to thier appropriate sizes
I sewed the four pieces to frame out the center piece
Then sewed all the side squares together and layed them out
*smiles* It's starting to look like a quilt!
Then pinned, pressed and sewed the sides together! Look below, almost done!
Yay! The top part is done!
Now time to lay out and prepare the top to be attached to the backing
Here it is! All finished!


It was a lot of fun to make and very easy! I got a beginner's quilt project as I have never made one before and thought it would be easy to start with something that had simple steps. I would definitely make another without buying the kit next time. It was not too time consuming either. One night, about 2 hours I spent reading through directions and cutting up the fabric pieces (prob normally wouldn't take that long but I was taking my merry ole time) and then I spent about 2-3 hours another afternoon sewing and pressing and putting it all together. So, if you're interested and fear it will take forever - it's definietly something it seems like you could do a little here and there and it not be a big deal at all and the overall time to be spent is merely a couple hours.

I am really excited to do another quilting project.... if you remember one of my lasts posts about the ugly ironing board cover... yup! I have already begun to gather scraps for it! I can't wait to start it and share it with you! Until then.... Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Are you seriously *KIDDING* me???

    Should I start hating you now, or when I see you next?

    I'm so proud of you!!! That just inspired me to try again, after my first attempt that looked well...

    awful.

    But your's is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Background

Followers

Music Box


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones