Friday, December 11, 2009

"Things To Do Before I Turn 30"

It was about 5 years ago (so when I was about 20-21) when I was attending college in a small town in the middle (not literally) of Kansas. I was at my friend Kate's house with another friend Annie and I can't exactly remember what we were doing that day but I do remember that we made a list of things we all wanted to do before we turned 30. I am not sure if the other two have kept thier list or not but I have kept mine... I found it one other time (probably during a move or something) and then stumbled acr0ss it today. My list of things to do before I turned 30 was:




  1. Go to Europe (Ireland, Poland, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Rome, etc)


  2. Write a childrens book & illustrate it


  3. Take swing and/or Irish dance lessons


  4. Make wine (by crushing grapes under my feet)


  5. Make a beaded lampshade


  6. Learn to play the piano


  7. Start a cork collection (make a corkboard after enough are collected)


  8. Wherever I live have a flower garden with a lot of roses


  9. Get a manicure


  10. Get a pedicure


  11. Sell one of my drawings/paintings


  12. Make a candle


  13. Milk a cow


  14. Go on the Price Is Right or SuperMarket Sweep


  15. Go to an opera


  16. See a tornado


  17. Lay in the middle of a field under a blanket of stars with good friends, a bottle of wine, cigarettes & poetry


  18. Ride a camel


  19. Jump on a moving train


  20. Get married

Ok, Well I have not completed them all and all of them I do not think I will do... Mainly because they would not be on my list if I were to make one today. Lets see...I have completed nine of them! Thats pretty good I would say as I have not had this to follow or mark off... Just things that in time were completed. Kind of neat to look back and think of the time when I had not thought I would do some of the things on the list. So far I have:


  • Gone to Europe - Went traveling around Poland on my honeymoon, hence I ...


  • Got Married


  • I started a cork collection about 2 or 3 years ago


  • Have gotten a manicure & pedicure


  • I milked a cow at the Neiders farm


  • I have been to a couple of opera's - one was in NYC & we saw The Phamtom of the Opera


  • I have been wine drinking in a field with friends and cigs


  • Have made a candal

Of all the things left to do on the list (which I still have a good four years to do...) I don't think I really want to write and illustrate a childrens book anymore; it would be a neat thing to do but... I can't see myself doing that... The taking the swing or irish dance lessons... I can do a little of both in the amateur way and I like those ways just fine...so what need to take the lessons? The making the wine... very well may be done because the hubby found a wine maker kit - but one that I wouldnt have to crush any grapes beneath my feet which I would like so much better! I could very well see myself making the beaded lampshade, definitely seems feasible. The learning to play piano... well you never know, I have four years and besides I can read basic music so in a way I have learned to play over the years... just nothing too fancy thats all! Lets see... the whole flower garden and roses thing... I get fresh flowers from time to time but I don't live in a place to have a garden so until that day comes when I do.. that one won't be completed. This whole Price is Right or Supermarket Sweep - Well I don't want to be on the Price is Right anymore cause Drew Carey is the host and I don't particularly care for him that much and the whole show is just not the same so I have no desire to be a contestant... and the Supermarket Sweep doesnt exist anymore. As some of or well I would think all of you know I live in Kansas ... so chances of seeing a tornado could be possible - even though hubby has lived here all his life and never seen one! As for riding a camel or jumping on a moving train... I would say well the riding the camel I will haev to go to Egypt for and I don't think we plan on that in the next four years - and the moving on a jumping train was merely a fad at the time I wrote the list. I don't think that idea really intrests me at all today. Would it intrest you? Besides, I have become more "chicken" if you will in my later years of becoming more wiser and I would be too afraid of getting in trouble for doing it... mroe so than I would be afraid of getting hurt. lol Even though it should be the other way around.


Well, that is my list and what I have and haven't done and what seems feasible to accomplish within the next fours years before I turn thirty. Hubby and I started a bucket list while we were dating and since have checked off and added more things to do... before we "kick the bucket"...if you will. Its nice to have. It keeps life intresting and keeps you looking forward to new adventures and having dreams... dreams, adventures and life to live together. Do any of you have a "bucket list" or "things to do before..."lists or have you ever had one or ever wanted to have one?

1 comment:

  1. Well, actually, you my dear are the one who inspired me to create one some years ago...

    So far I have on my list:

    Eat some (real) truffles.

    And that's it... but I do believe I'll be stealing some of your ideas... even the rejects... like hopping a train. It's actually funny because I was *so* tempted to do that last week instead of walking the 1/4 mile to the store and there was a train heading that way anyway. But I didn't for fear of:
    1) the train speeding up and me not being able to get off. That would have been horrible and whenever it stopped I'd have to find another train going back and hope it slowed down where I live.
    2) there was a guard somewhere who would shoot me 'cause he'd think I was trying to smuggle drugs.
    Geesh, have I got an overactive imagination. But yes, that does sound jolly; my dad and his friends used to use the trains all the time to travel to and fro their neighboring towns, back East. He wasn't a hobo, just a highschooler. ;)

    I bought the truffles but never prepared them 'cause they were so gosh-darn expensive and I was scared I'd mess them up. So now I still have yet to try them. Darn. So close.

    Riding a camel sounds pretty cool too.

    I think I'd like to go snorkeling too.

    And I've always wanted to drive a motorcycle but I just can't see how that would be feasible.

    Oh yes, and how can I ever forget. I want to go deer hunting... and get one.

    My bucket list is lacking the frills and ruffles. :-(

    And just for kicks I'll throw this in. I'd like to open one or more of the following:
    Coffeehouse (already have the decor picked out)
    Bakery (to sell my cakes)
    Orphanage

    Not really sure what I'm supposed to do in this life. Doesn't that sound awful at 24? :(

    Now I'm off to give myself a manicure and be pensive...

    ReplyDelete

Background

Followers

Music Box


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones