Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Good Find

I have eaten and made many oatmeal - raisin cookies and the other day I found a recipe that definintely is staying in my recipe box! They are so yummy... very chewy and on the thicker side - all considering... most recipes bake out flat - I had thought they may turn out a little thicker but I like the thickness they are now. However, I have been planning to make them again soon and will experiment to make them a little thicker. MMMMmmmm they are so, so delicious!
~
1/2 cup butter softened (I didn't use it all as butter, I added some shortening to it)
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup flour (I added a handful extra once it was all mixed because I thought it needed it)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I add a little shake extra just because :) )
1/4 teaspoon salt (i usually just add a dash from the shaker)
3/4 cup raisins (or you can add more or less to your liking)
1/2 walnuts (I didn't use any this time but they are optional)
~
Preheat overn to 350. Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. In a separate bowl (or one big measuring cup like I do) mix together flour, soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir into the butter mixture (I always start to add my raisins and oatmeal at this point because I think they mix so much better into the mixture than waiting until its all thick and mixed - it just makes for it being well incorporated into your batter, thats all.) Stir in rasins and oats. You can bake your cookies now, if you are impatient, or let your dough chill before you bake them. It seems that by chilling the dough the cookies will be thicker and not bake out flat. I just put my bowl in the freezer for like 15 minutes then took them out to make into dough balls. Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes... you want to bake them only until the edges just get a little brown and the tops will look slightly under cooked... but they aren't, so no worries. :) Also, this is only a half recipe so it makes about 2 dozen or so which has been good for Dom and I because I have just enough to put in his lunches. I do think I will double the recipe and make more next time because then I will have enough to snack on! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think that chocolate chips would be just as yummy in it? The kids hate raisins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm I don't think just by adding chocolate chips that they would taste good with this recipe... its got the cinnamon and all that so... I would say no. I have a couple good chocolate ship cookie recipes... i think one came from you! I should make some this week!

    ReplyDelete

Background

Followers

Music Box


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones